Making your home appealing takes more than just a quick cleanup and some scented candles. When you've got your place on the market, here are some tips for creating a great experience for prospective buyers, and really showing off your property to its fullest advantage.
1. Depersonalize. This is one of the most important rules of home staging. Store the kids' artwork, your family photos, religious items and toiletries. Buyers don't want to see the space as someone else's - getting rid of your personal stuff helps them visualize it as theirs.
2. Be a minimalist. Having less stuff on display makes your place look bigger and more appealing. Pack up the knick-knacks, clear off the countertops, pull half the stuff out of your closets and organize what's left. If you're tempted to throw all the extra stuff into the garage, don't. Buyers will be looking in there too. If you need to, rent a storage unit while your house is on the market.
3. Ensure your house is spotless. One of the biggest turnoffs for buyers is a place that isn't clean. Steam the carpets, mop the floors, corral the dust bunnies, and make sure windows and mirrors are gleaming. And don't forget about the small everyday stuff, like crumbs on the table, rumpled beds, toothbrushes left by the sink or half-full trash cans. Details count - people will notice.
4. Always be show-ready. Yes, this is a hassle. But showings sometimes happen with very little notice, so make sure your place is always clean and ready to go. Don't put dirty dishes in the sink - wash them right away or put them in the dishwasher. Keep your valuables stored away, and make sure personal info isn't in plain sight. Ensure your key is always in the lockbox. Follow a checklist so you don't miss anything.
5. Be flexible. Be open to last-minute showings and other inconveniences. The more flexible you can be now, the less time it should take to sell your house. And don't stick around when potential buyers are there - there's nothing more uncomfortable than looking at a house while the current owners are there, watching you. Go out for dinner, take the kids to the park, hang out in a coffee shop or visit friends.
6. Keep things fresh. A house that looks clean should smell clean, too. Cooking smells, mildew, pet odours - they're all serious turnoffs. Open the windows, use air purifiers, put out some lightly scented candles. But be careful about using plug-ins, room sprays or other artificial fragrances. A lot of people are sensitive to them, and having an overwhelming scent can make it seem like you're trying to mask an odour problem. Less is definitely more.
7. Relocate your pets. Fido or Fluffy might be friendly, but don't leave them at home during a showing. Not everyone is an animal lover, and no one wants to see the litter box or a bowl of dog food on the kitchen floor. Have a plan for taking your pet with you for showings, or better yet, ask a friend to pet-sit while your house is on the market.
8. Make a great first impression. Ensuring the inside of your house looks great is important, but don't forget about the part they see first: the exterior. Up your curb appeal by making sure windows are clean, trim is painted, and decks are power washed. Adding some colourful plants to your garden or having containers on your porch is a wonderfully cheap and cheerful boost. And don't forget the entryway. Get rid of coats, shoes and keys, put out some fresh flowers, and make it a welcoming space that offers the perfect intro to the rest of your home.
9. Lighten up. Create a bright, cheery atmosphere by turning on all the lights and opening up the curtains and blinds (or removing them completely). Trim back any bushes that block the light, and don't forget to clean the windows.
10. Show off your assets. Do your best to really maximize the best features of your home. Do you have beautiful hardwood floors? Put the area rugs away. Want to highlight a nicely renovated kitchen? Get rid of the dishtowels and put countertop appliances out of sight to emphasize how great it looks.
It all boils down to this. If you do everything you can to make your space look its best and be flexible about showings, your property will appeal to more buyers - and sell faster.
Copyright© 2023 Jumptools® Inc. Real Estate Websites for Agents and Brokers